I promised that I would show some photos of work I completed and then revised after a critique session. Here goes the results with “Farm Home: Where My Story Began”. I would encourage emerging artists to find a critique group that can provide guidance. My experience with a small group from
PAQA-South was extremely helpful and positive. The revised version won a 1st Place at the Durham-Orange Quilt Show in Durham, NC – August 2014 – in the 1-Party Wall Quilts category. After clicking the link above and enjoying all of the categories of gorgeous quilts, scroll down to 1-Party Wall Quilts to see three of my quilts: Farm Home, Fall Frenzy and Look, Ma!
Early version Suggestions: 1. Add trees to the grove so it extends over the driveway which will give perspective so the driveway leading into the distance instead of hanging from the sky. 2. Move tractor so it is partially behind the lower tree.. again for perspective. 3. Make lower tree more solid like other trees.
Here you see the changes: They also suggested that I add shading under the trees on the right, as the sunlight is coming from the upper left, and to also add shading to the right end of the house to give it the correct dimensions. I decided to add some corn to the field surrounding the creek, again hoping to improve perspective.
Since I wrote the last post, I have been steadily working on a queen-size bed spread for my daughter. It has been a larger scale project than I usually undertake, but I am happy with the results. It is pictured here in my bedroom with the purplish colored walls…. her soft cocoa walls will set it off much better. In the pictures below, more or less for my own journal, a step by step process is detailed. Feel free to click away to more interesting content online if this does not interest you. 😮
Computer generated overall plan using swatches of the fabric which were scanned and placed into a design on my computer until found the best plan.
The cutting and piecing of both the top layer and backing layer were done in three sections as shown on the bed. Before assembling the three units, I outline quilted them with the basic details.
Computer designed quilting pattern that I devised after trying many other options
The quilting stopped short of the seam allowance on one adjoining section so that I could trim away the batting, pin back the back seam allowance, and attach the top seam allowance to the next quilted section without catching the back seam allowance. Then I flipped the sections over, folded the back seam allowance’s edge under and hand stitched the seam.
Details the backing seam allowance folded under and ready to hand stitch on the back.
Here all three sections are joined and outline quilted. The sashing has been pieced, quilted and attached. I am creating extra length so the top edge of the quilt can be folded back under the pillows or can fold under and then over the pillows. Prior to attaching the side sections of the quilt, the detail quilting was completed on a home machine… not a long arm. I use a Janome Memory Craft 6600 which has a slightly larger harp area, and this panel fit quite easily and was not difficult to quilt. Had I not done the quilt in 9 panels/sections, the quilting would have been quite laborious.
This shows the back side which is a piecing of scraps leftover from piecing the top. This had to be pieced into three sections that would fit on the top three sections already shown before any quilting could begin.
Contrast block with quilting
Light Block with quilting – quilting definitely has a home stitched quality as the stitching is not generated by a computer, but is hand-guided.
4 square section with sashing
The drop down panels, left, right and end sections, were each layered and quilted separately and then attached to the main quilt. I left the end section until last and it extended across each side drop down panel as well as the width of the top panel. All of the drop down sections/panels were quilted in parallel lines that proceed down towards the floor approximately 1 inch apart.
Drop down section quilting pattern and quilted binding
Notice the unfinished seam on the folded back top. The hand stitching had not yet been completed. The detailed stitching on the top pieced panel was completed prior to attaching the drop down panels.
The completed quilt and a close up of the detailed quilting. A 3 inch quilted binding was added last in one long attachment around the perimeter of the quilt. Pillowcases shown below, were completed from the left over fabric. The remaining scraps are very few!
Partial label above the binding on the backside.